Installation

How to Minimize Light Forwarder Footprint?

mzorzi
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm looking for a way to create a minimal light forwarder installation. What can I remove from the standard Splunk deployment to drastically reduce the disk space? Since all it does it's just forwarding data to the Indexer, I don't understand why the Light Forwarder installation has to be as large as the Indexer installation.

balbano
Contributor

@CerielTjuh:

which indexes are ok to delete? Just curious as I am also trying to setup a very minimal installation of Splunk LF as one of my legacy servers CPU and Memory is going nuts...

Let me know more details. Thanks I appreciate the help.

Brian

CerielTjuh
Path Finder

Hi mzorzi,

I reduced my footprint by deleting the demo indexes on the forwarders, limiting the log size and log indexes and removing some of the apps, (gettingsstarted, sample app).

• I deleted the indexes trough the web interface.
  • Log files i limited using the script below

appender.A1=RollingFileAppender
appender.A1.fileName=${SPLUNK_HOME}/var/log/splunk/splunkd.log
appender.A1.maxFileSize=50000000 (used to be 25 MB)
appender.A1.maxBackupIndex=1 (used to be 5)
appender.A1.layout=PatternLayout
appender.A1.layout.ConversionPattern=%d{%m-%d-%Y %H:%M:%S.%l} %-5p %c - %m%n

Log Files Splunk Documentation

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...