Installation

How do I upgrade a non-clustered search head to 7.1?

Log_wrangler
Builder

I am not finding a detailed "step by step" description for upgrading a non-clustered, non-pooled, search head.

Scenario = I am removing a search head from a pool, for testing purposes. The search head is currently 6.6.3 and I want to do an in-place upgrade to 7.1.

After reviewing the docs, I inferred that I need to do the following steps:

1) /opt/splunk/bin ./splunk stop
2) /opt/splunk/bin ./splunk disable boot-start
3) download 7.1 and untar  > in /opt     tar xvzf splunk_package_name.tgz
4) set search head mode in GUI
5) edit distributedsearch.conf (point to indexer servers)
6) set license master GUI
7) restart

Am I on the right track here? Please advise.

Thanks

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Isn't the upgrade covered on Upgrade to 7.1 on UNIX ?

Your steps look fine, your effectively doing an upgrade then Add search peers to the search head or Search Head Configuration overview if your running an indexer cluster (which then links to Enable the search head )

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Isn't the upgrade covered on Upgrade to 7.1 on UNIX ?

Your steps look fine, your effectively doing an upgrade then Add search peers to the search head or Search Head Configuration overview if your running an indexer cluster (which then links to Enable the search head )

0 Karma

Log_wrangler
Builder

yes I have read to the docs mentioned but I am not going to cluster it or add more than one indexer.... thank you for confirming.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...