Installation

How Do I Know When the Initialization Is Complete?

SLLSB

I am having difficulty getting the program started; I installed it successfully but then it tells me it needs to "perform a brief initialization" anytime I open the program. I click the OK button, but then nothing tells me about the status of this initialization or when it may be finished. Then when I click on the icon in my dock (I use a Mac), nothing happens. Am I perhaps confused on how to begin using the program or is this some type of malfunction?

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma

rfdin
Engager

I had the same problem with Splunk Enterprise 7.2.3 Build:06d57c595b80 (you can find this by going to Help > About on the menu at the top of your browser window when you've successfully got Splunk running on your host).

• I needed to kill the splunk app that was running in the dock using Activity
    Monitor, then run it again.

• It then got stuck on another screen and I had to repeat that process
    again

• each time I managed to get one step / one dialog farther, until finally a browser window open to the the http://localhost:8000/ and the login fields appeared which I used to enter the username/password combo I choose/entered during the installation.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Thanks for clarifying. I'm not a Mac user, but the initialization dialog box should be followed by another one that gives you some options. Since that doesn't happen, I suggest you try running Splunk from the command line. See http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.1/Installation/StartSplunkforthefirsttime.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

What program are you trying to start? How exactly are you trying to start it (what command are you running)?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

SLLSB

Hi Rich,

Thank you very much for the response. The program is Splunk Enterprise 6.5.1. To start it, I simply click the desktop icon, at which time I see a window stating, "Welcome! Before we start, Splunk needs to perform a brief initialization. This will be done automatically." The only option is to click "Okay," which I do, but then it never updates me on the progress of the initialization, nor has it ever alerted me that the initialization was completed. If I click the desktop icon again before turning off my computer, nothing happens. I am happy to do whatever I need to move forward, but I am a bit lost as to the next step to take.

Thanks again,
SLLSB

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...