Installation

Getting error when trying to upgrade from Splunk Light to Splunk Enterprise version 7 on school campus license server?

glindley1122

I originally installed Splunk Light on a server. After our campus acquired a Splunk enterprise license, I switched to the Splunk enterprise license by pointing to the campus license server.

Everything worked fine until I tried to upgrade to Splunk 7. When I try to do the upgrade, I get the error message:

"Splunk Light is already installed on this computer. Splunk Enterprise cannot be installed unless you first apply a Splunk Enterprise license."

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

felipesewaybric
Contributor

You will need to uninstall the Splunk Light and install the splunk enterprise as a trial/free version, then after the first start, you just point to the master with the license.

To install 2 splunks, you will need to change the management port (8089) and the web port (8000).

View solution in original post

0 Karma

felipesewaybric
Contributor

You will need to uninstall the Splunk Light and install the splunk enterprise as a trial/free version, then after the first start, you just point to the master with the license.

To install 2 splunks, you will need to change the management port (8089) and the web port (8000).

0 Karma

glindley1122

Okay, the uninstall, re-install worked. After reading the docs on migrating splunk, I did the following:

1. stopped the splunk service
  2. made a copy of the splunk install folder
  3. uninstalled splunk 6.4
  4. copied the splunk folder back
  5. installed splunk 7.0.2
0 Karma

felipesewaybric
Contributor

nice, happy splunking

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you uninstall splunk light first and then install Splunk Enterprise?

0 Karma

glindley1122

Wouldn't I still need a Splunk Enterprise license? I'm currently getting it from a license server, so don't have one on the server itself.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No you just point it to “your campus” license master.

0 Karma

vinaykata
Path Finder

I think it couldn't be possible to install both on a single server, but try installing Splunk enterprise on another directory on the same server. I am not sure about it but you can try.
If it still didn't work you only have one option that is to give the IP address instead of localhost in http://localhost:8000/en-US/app/launcher/home. Then you are able to access your campus Splunk enterprise with your campus Splunk credentials.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...