Installation

Getting error when trying to upgrade from Splunk Light to Splunk Enterprise version 7 on school campus license server?

glindley1122

I originally installed Splunk Light on a server. After our campus acquired a Splunk enterprise license, I switched to the Splunk enterprise license by pointing to the campus license server.

Everything worked fine until I tried to upgrade to Splunk 7. When I try to do the upgrade, I get the error message:

"Splunk Light is already installed on this computer. Splunk Enterprise cannot be installed unless you first apply a Splunk Enterprise license."

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

felipesewaybric
Contributor

You will need to uninstall the Splunk Light and install the splunk enterprise as a trial/free version, then after the first start, you just point to the master with the license.

To install 2 splunks, you will need to change the management port (8089) and the web port (8000).

View solution in original post

0 Karma

felipesewaybric
Contributor

You will need to uninstall the Splunk Light and install the splunk enterprise as a trial/free version, then after the first start, you just point to the master with the license.

To install 2 splunks, you will need to change the management port (8089) and the web port (8000).

0 Karma

glindley1122

Okay, the uninstall, re-install worked. After reading the docs on migrating splunk, I did the following:

1. stopped the splunk service
  2. made a copy of the splunk install folder
  3. uninstalled splunk 6.4
  4. copied the splunk folder back
  5. installed splunk 7.0.2
0 Karma

felipesewaybric
Contributor

nice, happy splunking

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can you uninstall splunk light first and then install Splunk Enterprise?

0 Karma

glindley1122

Wouldn't I still need a Splunk Enterprise license? I'm currently getting it from a license server, so don't have one on the server itself.

0 Karma

jkat54
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No you just point it to “your campus” license master.

0 Karma

vinaykata
Path Finder

I think it couldn't be possible to install both on a single server, but try installing Splunk enterprise on another directory on the same server. I am not sure about it but you can try.
If it still didn't work you only have one option that is to give the IP address instead of localhost in http://localhost:8000/en-US/app/launcher/home. Then you are able to access your campus Splunk enterprise with your campus Splunk credentials.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...