Installation

Failed installation/upgrade of Splunk Enterprise on my 64-bit Windows 7 computer: Why?

siberian_breaks
Engager

Background: I had the 30-day trial of Splunk Enterprise 6.4.0 running on my 64-bit Windows 7 computer. On the login page, I noticed the version and remembered that the newest one was 6.6.2, and I thought the version difference might be significant as I was going to start working through some labs and courses.

I got the .msi for 6.6.2 and ran it before un-installing version 6.4.0. I realized it part way through, but I thought maybe the installer would be able to upgrade in place. But that install failed, and even after uninstalling everything and shutting down and booting back up, any attempt I make to install either version 6.4.0 or 6.6.2 fails, saying: "error has occurred setup has ended prematurely, your system was not updated." One thing to note during my attempt to install 6.6.2 was that the installer seemed to be almost done and validating the install but then would go back to checking size requirements, laying down the files, etc. It did that about 3 times before I finally gave up and terminated it.

So I am thinking it is something in the Windows registry that needs to be removed in order for me to get a successful installation of Splunk again. I did some research on this and ran msiexec.exe with verbose logging turned on. (I'm not able to attach file--not enough Karma points.) I see some checksums that might be keys that need to be removed from my registry but I don't know where they are. I've looked at many similar questions in Splunk Answers, but nothing seemed to exactly match my situation.

Any help would be appreciated, I'd like to get Splunk installed so I can continue my learning! Thanks!

Labels (2)
1 Solution

niketn
Legend

@siberian_breaks, try running installation from command prompt running as Administrator

msiexec.exe /i splunk-<...>-x64-release.msi 

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Installation/InstallonWindowsviathecommandline#In...

View solution in original post

niketn
Legend

@siberian_breaks, try running installation from command prompt running as Administrator

msiexec.exe /i splunk-<...>-x64-release.msi 

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Installation/InstallonWindowsviathecommandline#In...

siberian_breaks
Engager

Thank you, running as Administrator from command line worked! (not sure why, I have never had to do that before, even a few days ago when I had initially installed Splunk 6.4.) But can't argue with results!

0 Karma

niketn
Legend

@siberian_breaks, I have converted to answer. Please accept when you get a chance!

adonio
Ultra Champion

very odd,
try and remove everything splunk on your system, remove the msi file. download splunk again run the msi

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...