Installation

Why this error when upgrading "Exception: <class 'PermissionError'>, Value: [Errno 13] Permission denied"?

tb582
Explorer

Upgrading to VERSION=8.0.4.1 I'm getting this error running as ROOT!!

Migrating to:

VERSION=8.0.4.1
BUILD=ab7a85abaa98
PRODUCT=splunk
PLATFORM=Linux-x86_64

Copying '/opt/splunk/etc/myinstall/splunkd.xml' to '/opt/splunk/etc/myinstall/splunkd.xml-migrate.bak'.

Checking saved search compatibility...

Handling deprecated files...

Checking script configuration...

An unforeseen error occurred:

Exception: <class 'PermissionError'>, Value: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/inputs.conf.tmp'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli.py", line 1353, in <module>
sys.exit(main(sys.argv))
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli.py", line 1206, in main
parseAndRun(argsList)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli.py", line 1061, in parseAndRun
retVal = cList.getCmd(command, subCmd).call(argList, fromCLI = True)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli.py", line 293, in call
return self.func(args, fromCLI)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/control_api.py", line 30, in wrapperFunc
return func(dictCopy, fromCLI)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/_internal.py", line 189, in firstTimeRun
migration.autoMigrate(args[ARG_LOGFILE], isDryRun)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/migration.py", line 3094, in autoMigrate
migInputs_3_3_0(migInputsConf, dryRun)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/migration.py", line 1682, in migInputs_3_3_0
comm.sed(policySearch, policyReplace, path, inPlace = True)
File "/opt/splunk/lib/python3.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli_common.py", line 1232, in sed
outFile = open(tmpPath, 'w')
PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/inputs.conf.tmp'

Please file a case online at http://www.splunk.com/page/submit_issue

Error running pre-start tasks

Root is how I always run the upgrade process yet never have run into this issue before!

Labels (2)
0 Karma

tgendron_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I had the same problem going doing an upgrade from 8.2.4 to 8..5

I went to the directory where the permission error was shown at the end of the Traceback like this 

f = open(path, 'w')

PermissionError: [Errno 13] Permission denied: '/opt/splunk/etc/system/local/indexes.conf'

Some of the files where read only so I did a  chmod 660 * and that fixed it.

0 Karma

panguy
Contributor

I had this same problem when upgrading Splunk.

After untaring the TGZ file to my $SPLUNK_HOME.

cd $SPLUNK_ROOT_DIR
ls -lah

This confirmed the owner of the folder changed to 10777

I went ahead and ran this line to fix permissions

chown -R splunk:splunk $SPLUNK_HOME

In your case change the user to root.

Hope that helps.

Tags (1)

Quadra
Engager

This also worked for me.
Upgrade from 9.0.4 to 9.1.1

0 Karma

smoir
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Thanks panguy, this is exactly what I needed!

0 Karma

The_Simko
Path Finder

1. Is Splunk offline?

2. Who owns the processes?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...