Installation

Enterprise Licensing issue..

michealrp
Path Finder

I have an issue, possibly a misunderstanding that I'm trying to get cleared up.

The company that I work for recently purchased a 10Gb license with Splunk. As we are now adding additional logs to index, I need to expand that. I understand that I can upgrade my existing license to 20Gb, but I believe that 30Gb would be better. When I contacted our rep, I was informed that my options were 20, 50 or 100+. As this is an enterprise license, according to the docs, I should be able to stack these with additional 10, 20, etc sized licenses and lump those index volumes together.

I've attempted to contact Sales via the contact Sales form, and it gets forwarded back to my rep, so I've also attempted to contact sales via voice to see if I can speak to someone live other than our current rep to verify this is indeed correct. Has anyone had this type of issue in the past?

I'm on current version, 4.3.3 and plan on implementing a license manager with two indexers. I'm just curious if I'm not understanding how the stack and pooling of licenses really works with Splunk.

Tags (1)
1 Solution

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You should be able to either purchase an "new" 20 GB (giving you a total of 30 GB), or else upgrade your existing 10 GB to a total of either 20 GB or 50 GB. As a technical matter, they work similarly, (you will be given a new key for the difference between what you have an what you bought) but the pricing for an "upgrade" may be different from the pricing for "new". It may help to explain to the rep that you just want a quote for a whole new 20 GB license, vs upgrading your existing 10 GB license.

View solution in original post

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You should be able to either purchase an "new" 20 GB (giving you a total of 30 GB), or else upgrade your existing 10 GB to a total of either 20 GB or 50 GB. As a technical matter, they work similarly, (you will be given a new key for the difference between what you have an what you bought) but the pricing for an "upgrade" may be different from the pricing for "new". It may help to explain to the rep that you just want a quote for a whole new 20 GB license, vs upgrading your existing 10 GB license.

jbsplunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The way that license pooling works is that If you've got a 10GB license, and you purchase an additional 20GB license, you could stack these licenses together and be allowed 30GB/day indexing volume if you've got the licenses configured in a single pool. You could also split the 30GB up into different pools any way you'd like. But, the idea is that you can stack licenses together without having to merge keys, which makes managing license keys easier for everyone involved.

Your sales person should be able to explain this to you in detail.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...