Enable user id and password for starting splunk

asing13
Path Finder

Hi Team,

I started splunk with the below command after installation:
./splunk start --no-prompt --accept-license

I then created a user using the below CLI command:
splunk add user asing13 -role Admin -password notmypassword

But now I don't get asked a password when start or stop splunk. How can I enable userid and password check for starting and stopping splunk.

I have already gone through the below documentation but did not find my answer. Tried creating file and the hashed password and all stuff written. Maybe I missed something :
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.0/Security/Secureyouradminaccount

Took backup of ldap.conf file as well to check if that could be the reason but still splunk doesn't ask for userid and password.

asing13_0-1604013778840.png

Any help would be highly appreciated !

Thank you in Advance !

Regards,
Abhishek Singh

Labels (4)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

One is never asked for credentials when starting or stopping Splunk.  Some other commands require credentials, but not start/stop.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

One is never asked for credentials when starting or stopping Splunk.  Some other commands require credentials, but not start/stop.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

asing13
Path Finder

Thanks alot @richgalloway !

Sorry I got confused with other operations we do in splunk like adding the deployment manager, etc which requires the user and password.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...