Installation

Domain Account for UF

jonwick
Path Finder

Hi Splunkers,

I'm realtively new with Splunk and trying to understand few aspects and need clarifications on below

In Which cases or Applications monitoring does UF needs domain account.

Does monitoring of Domain Controller server events needs domain Account?

Is the general approach to keep local account for UFs on servers unless it is explicitly needed?

What are roles are used for while installing UFs?

What is UF's username and password used for? Is it for security purpose so that anyone doesnt make any changes from CLI? Am I right?

Labels (6)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@jonwick,

I usually install Universal Forwarder as a SYSTEM_LOCAL, but, as you can read at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Forwarder/8.0.6/Forwarder/InstallaWindowsuniversalforwarderfro...  , you can install it also as a Domain Account.

The reasons are:

• Read Event Logs remotely
  • Collect performance counters remotely,
  • Read network shares for log files,
  • Access the Active Directory schema,
  • using Active Directory monitoring.

If you install as a domain user, you can choose whether or not the user has administrative privileges on the local machine. If you choose not to give the user administrative privileges, the universal forwarder enables "low-privilege" mode.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@jonwick,

I usually install Universal Forwarder as a SYSTEM_LOCAL, but, as you can read at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Forwarder/8.0.6/Forwarder/InstallaWindowsuniversalforwarderfro...  , you can install it also as a Domain Account.

The reasons are:

• Read Event Logs remotely
  • Collect performance counters remotely,
  • Read network shares for log files,
  • Access the Active Directory schema,
  • using Active Directory monitoring.

If you install as a domain user, you can choose whether or not the user has administrative privileges on the local machine. If you choose not to give the user administrative privileges, the universal forwarder enables "low-privilege" mode.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...