Installation

Does KV store cleanup delete the license?

Upas02
Path Finder

My Splunk license had expired and I got a new license and installed it.
After adding the license I was getting "KV Store initialization failed" error. I check the KV store status and it showed as Failed. So I did a KV store cleanup. But after restarting, now I am again getting a license expired error as below -

Error in 'litsearch' command: Your Splunk license expired or you have exceeded your license limit too many times.

My question is did the KV store cleanup delete my license? But in Setting->Licensing, I can still see the license and it is saying valid.

Secondly, what is the solution to this problem now ?

Please let me know as I am completely stuck.
Thanks for your support in advance.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Upas02,

KV store clean up should not delete your license unless you manually deleted the license file from the disk unknowingly.

If you have a Central license master , make sure that other instances are connected to it.

If this is the first Enterprise license that you are installing on the server, you must restart Splunk Enterprise. Install a license

Also check the license pools are sufficiently allocated . Groups,stacks,pools

Happy Splunking!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Upas02,

KV store clean up should not delete your license unless you manually deleted the license file from the disk unknowingly.

If you have a Central license master , make sure that other instances are connected to it.

If this is the first Enterprise license that you are installing on the server, you must restart Splunk Enterprise. Install a license

Also check the license pools are sufficiently allocated . Groups,stacks,pools

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma

Upas02
Path Finder

@renjith.nair
Thank u so much for your answer. I understood the problem now.

The license file was moved from its original location.

Now, to solve the problem, can I delete the license fron Settings->Licensing and install it again ?

For your other two points, this is a standalone Splunk installation and not first time(though I have restarted many times, just in case)

0 Karma

renjith_nair
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@Upas02,

You can copy back the license file to etc/licenses/enterprise or try reinstalling the license from web.

Happy Splunking!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...