Installation

Do I need to Install splunk add on for linux in both forwarder machine and splunk server machine?

kv
Explorer

I need to configure the Splunk Add-on for Linux in both forwarder and Splunk server machines.

I have Splunk Enterprise running on windows and collecting the logs from Linux using Splunk forwarder.

To get the dashboard from Splunk add on Linux, Do I need to install the add-on on both machines,

if so what steps do I need to follow on a Linux host machine?

Many thanks for considering my request.

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @kv,

yes you have to install the Splunk_TA_nix both on Forwarders (to input data) and on the Splunk Server (for parsing data).

I don't like that you use Windows for the Splunk Server because, in my experience (11 yeears), I didn't see any relevant proction installation on Windows, only labs and PoCs.

In addition, if you want to use the Splunk Server also as Deployment Server to send Apps to the Forwarders you'll have problems on file grants (especially scripts take wrong grants).

Anyway, as I said, you have to install the Add-On both on Forwarder and Splunk Server (that I suppose is an All-in-one server).

For the Splunk Server, you can install it by GUI and then configure it still by GUI telling to it which inputs must be enabled and which is the destination index for each one.

For the Forwarders, I usually hint to use the Splunk Server as Deployment Server, but you cannot because you're using a Windows Server, so you have to manually deploy it following these simple steps:

• copy the tgz file on the forwarder in the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps folder,
  • untar the file,
  • enable the inputs you need (changing the option "disable 0 1" to "disabled = 0",
  • delete the tgz file,
  • restart Splunk on forwarder.

i suppose that you already configured the forwarder to send logs and the Splunk Server to receive them, otherwise you have to do this.

For more infos see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.2/Data/Usingforwardingagents and https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.2/Forwarding/Aboutforwardingandreceivingdata

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @kv,

yes you have to install the Splunk_TA_nix both on Forwarders (to input data) and on the Splunk Server (for parsing data).

I don't like that you use Windows for the Splunk Server because, in my experience (11 yeears), I didn't see any relevant proction installation on Windows, only labs and PoCs.

In addition, if you want to use the Splunk Server also as Deployment Server to send Apps to the Forwarders you'll have problems on file grants (especially scripts take wrong grants).

Anyway, as I said, you have to install the Add-On both on Forwarder and Splunk Server (that I suppose is an All-in-one server).

For the Splunk Server, you can install it by GUI and then configure it still by GUI telling to it which inputs must be enabled and which is the destination index for each one.

For the Forwarders, I usually hint to use the Splunk Server as Deployment Server, but you cannot because you're using a Windows Server, so you have to manually deploy it following these simple steps:

• copy the tgz file on the forwarder in the $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps folder,
  • untar the file,
  • enable the inputs you need (changing the option "disable 0 1" to "disabled = 0",
  • delete the tgz file,
  • restart Splunk on forwarder.

i suppose that you already configured the forwarder to send logs and the Splunk Server to receive them, otherwise you have to do this.

For more infos see at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.2/Data/Usingforwardingagents and https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/9.0.2/Forwarding/Aboutforwardingandreceivingdata

Ciao.

Giuseppe

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...