Installation

Do I need a Dev License if someone already has a Enterprise 7.1.0 premium license (not free trial)?

samnathan
Explorer

In the Splunk documentation it says, "If you install a Dev/Test license over an Enterprise license, the Enterprise license will be deleted." The Dev license says "size 10 GB."

Does this mean that if someone installs Dev License over and above Enterprise Premium License, they can index only 10 GB/day. Could someone kindly explain?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

ansif
Motivator

Yes Dev/Test License will replace Enterprise License. You cant stack both in single instance.

I think the purpose is to keep Dev/Test License in one instance to have a single instance to dev/test activity, and not to disturb other environment.

0 Karma

samnathan
Explorer

Ansif, thanks! Can someone have both Dev/Test & Enterprise Premium instances on a single machine? Kindly let me know.

0 Karma

mgaudie_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Exceeding a license limit doesn't stop the data from being indexed. Instead, it will create license violations which may impact other functionality on the Splunk platform, such as stopping you from being able to search your data.

For more information on license violations and to determine how you'll be impacted, refer to the following link:
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.1.1/Admin/Aboutlicenseviolations#What_happens_during_a...

0 Karma

samnathan
Explorer

mgaudie thanks! I understood violation part!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...