Installation

Dashboard Studio option not present in some 8.2.0 upgrades

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I have two sets of installations recently upgraded to 8.2.0.  In one set, when I click "Create New Dashboard", it presents the choice of "Classic Dashboards" and "Dashboard Studio", i.e., as expected in 8.2.  But the other set presents no such choices.  What can I do to find out why?

The following table tries to summarize differences that I can think of.

A1A2B1B2
Dashboard Studiofunctional-dysfunctional-
OSMacOS-Linux-
Firewalledno-yes-
Port8080-443-
SSLno-yes-
Upgrade path8.1.2 -> 8.2.06.5.1 -> 8.2.08.1.2 -> 8.2.0-

In both sets, when I go to "Manage Apps", then search for Dashboard Studio, it shows up and I can "launch" it.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

davidemagni
Explorer

Actually yes.

In your system/default/web.conf you should have these conf:

# First party apps:
splunk_dashboard_app_name = splunk-dashboard-studio

# enable/disable splunk dashboard app feature
enable_splunk_dashboard_app_feature = true

Please check if you are overwriting them somewhere (e.g. system/local)

I had a copy of the old web.conf in system/local so the new configurations were not applied. 

View solution in original post

mannyzepeda
Explorer

We were able to resolve this issue on the box that had it by modifying the web.conf file, this was on Rocky Linux.

Edit: /opt/splunk/etc/system/local/web.conf

changed:

# First party apps:
splunk_dashboard_app_name = splunk-dashboard-app

to:

# First party apps:
# splunk_dashboard_app_name = splunk-dashboard-app

davidemagni
Explorer

Hi,

same problem here.

Upgrade path: 8.1.3 -> 8.2.2.1

Is there any news?

Thanks!!

0 Karma

mannyzepeda
Explorer

Any updates on this. Having the same issue on CentOS based system.

0 Karma

davidemagni
Explorer

Actually yes.

In your system/default/web.conf you should have these conf:

# First party apps:

# enable/disable splunk dashboard app feature

Please check if you are overwriting them somewhere (e.g. system/local)

I had a copy of the old web.conf in system/local so the new configurations were not applied. 

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@davidemagni wrote:

Thank you!  I copied a few lines too many under [settings] from default/web.conf when setting up custom cert.  As such, subsequent changes in defaults that happened to be copied over are not reflected.  Again, maybe some specific pointers existed in 8.2.0 upgrade instructions, but if they did, I clearly did not take notice.

Simply removing splunk_dashboard_app_name = splunk-dashboard-app made studio available to me.  Now I am stripping my local/web.conf to the minimum required.

0 Karma

tmeader
Contributor

I guess there's still been no progress on this? Just upgraded both of our development environments from 8.1.5 to 8.2.2 and seem to be missing the option in both. The only way to get to the new dashboard is through directly clicking "Launch App" on the "Manage Apps" page.

2422z9s8
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi there, did you have any luck figuring this out? I'm in the same position, Clone to Dashboard Studio option is also available but it does load the dashboard studio, when I leave though it cannot be returned to.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Mine (problematic ones as well as A3 the functional one) are all CentOS 7.9.  So we  know the glitch can happen on different distributions.  Anything in upgrade path that is in common with the mine?

0 Karma

2422z9s8
Loves-to-Learn Lots

I can't recall exact versions but the upgrade path was 8.1.x > 8.2.0 > 8.2.1. It might have been 8.1.3.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@2422z9s8 Unfortunately I haven't made any progress.  But now at least we  know this can happen in more than one instance.  What  is your OS?

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @yuanliu are you able to open a support case for this issue?

0 Karma

burwell
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi. As an experiment I upgraded from 8.1.3 to 8.2.1 and we use a third party for certs and things DID work.

I strongly recommend a Splunk support case be opened! Splunk support can help turn on extra debugging to track this issue down.

0 Karma

2422z9s8
Loves-to-Learn Lots

**bleep**! I'm running 8.2.1 on Ubuntu 20.04. Didn't show up on 8.2.0 either.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

After considering the diagnostic matrix, I suspect that SSL configuration may be critical.  To test this, I created a new Linux server behind the same firewall, and tested default installation, i.e., plain text HTTP on port 8000.  Lo and behold, Dashboard Studio option shows up.

So, the question now is: how to diagnose my SSL configuration to fix this? (I use my custom certificate, not Splunk's default.)

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@yuanliu wrote:

So, the question now is: how to diagnose my SSL configuration to fix this? (I use my custom certificate, not Splunk's default.)

To confirm, I enabled SSL on the newest installation using out-of-the-box self-signed cert.   Dashboard Studio shows just  fine.

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

@yuanliu wrote:

@yuanliu wrote:

To confirm, I enabled SSL on the newest installation using out-of-the-box self-signed cert.   Dashboard Studio shows just  fine.

Unfortunately, the hypothesis about SSL configuration is still incorrect.  In the newest installation (I'll call it "A3"), I reconfigured serverCert, privKeyPath in web.conf, and, serverCert, caCertFile in server.conf just as I did in B1 and B2, so both Web GUI and REST API/admin server use a custom cert.  Dashboard Studio is still available in A3.  The diagnostic matrix is now

A1A2A3B1B2
Dashboard Studiofunctional--dysfunctional-
OSMacOS-LinuxLinux-
Firewalledno-yesyes-
Port8080-443443-
SSLno-yesyes-
Upgrade path8.1.2 -> 8.2.06.5.1 -> 8.2.0fresh 8.2.08.1.2 -> 8.2.0-

The only recognizable difference is upgrade path.  This points to possible glitch during the upgrade for those two instances. (B2 is just a test instance that is configured nearly identically to B1 except the actual cert used and ingested data.)  Even this doesn't quite explain much, as A1 is also upgraded from 8.1.2. (If anything, the upgrade from 6.5 on A2 should be more problematic.)

0 Karma

eljefe-3
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?  I have the latest version of Splunk 8.2.1.  I currently have a similar setup with custom SSL Certificates and using port 8443 to access Splunk via the web.  

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

An examination of etc/system/local/ on A3 and B1 gave me no meaningful explanation why one would work while the other not.  They are both very vanilla.  splunkd.log, web_service.log also do not show any error or warning when invoking dashboard.  What else can I check?

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As I tinker, the plot gets thicker.  I copied sample_app and built a blank new app.  From this app, if I navigate to "Default Views -> dashboard", I enter a vanilla Dashboard Studio dashboard.

default-dash.png

I can edit this dashboard in Dashboard Studio (no choice), I can save it.  But the saved dashboard cannot be viewed anywhere, and is not listed in "Default Views -> Dashboards".  However, it is listed in that "Default Views" drop-down; when I click that item, it says 404 page not found. (I checked the view path and dashboard xml definitely exist.)

If I use "Default Views -> dashboard" again, it presents another blank Dashboard Studio dashboard.

0 Karma

yuanliu
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In addition to "Default Views -> dashboard", the "Clone to Dashboard Studio" option is also available for any Simple XML dashboard.  However, if I use this, the result is the same: 404 page not found even though an XML file is created right in the same directory!

2021-06-12 17:12:56,957 INFO	[60c4eb18de7fa2e47b3850] cached:163 - /opt/splunk/etc/apps/splunk_essentials_8_2/appserver/static/setup.json
2021-06-12 17:12:57,122 INFO	[60c4eb18de7fa2e47b3850] error:321 - Masking the original 404 message: 'Nothing matches the given URI' with 'Page not found!' for security reasons

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...