Installation

Custom Dashboards get deleted during Splunk upgrade

KavyaSabu
Explorer

Is there a way to avoid the custom dashboards from getting wiped out after a Splunk upgrade or a Deployment Server restart? I tried the excludeFromUpdate option in the serverclass.conf file of the deployment server, but want to know if there is any other solution apart from that.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

keerthana_k
Communicator

We finally fixed the issue by moving the app configurations to the default directory and letting customers use local directory for creating dashboards. Additionally, we have added excludeFromUpdate option for the local directory.

0 Karma

strive
Influencer

Splunk puts its configurations under default directory and we are advised to add our configs under local directory.

If you have created a splunk app for aiding custom dashboard creation, then you should put your configurations under /default directory. That way when you provide further upgrades to the app, the end user created dashboards will stay unaffected.

Adding excludeFromUpdate is not the solution. This may stop you from providing updates to the app that you have created.

0 Karma

keerthana_k
Communicator

Hi Strive,

We have already separated the default configurations into the default directory. We want to add excludeFromUpdate on top of that.

0 Karma

strive
Influencer

If the path is going to be till directory level then that should be ok.

By the way putting things under default directory alone was not sufficient?

0 Karma

keerthana_k
Communicator

just moving things to default directory might work in case of new installations and not on existing upgrade ones. So we need to use a combination of both putting configurations in default directory and adding excludeFromUpdate for the local directory.

0 Karma

strive
Influencer

If you are going to continue maintaining the local directory in your app then fine. If the solution is going to be taking out local fully and maintaining only default in the app, then it makes sense once to test without including excludeFromUpdate

0 Karma

keerthana_k
Communicator

We did that and it didn't work. Hence this approach.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Upgrading Splunk should have no effect on your custom dashboards unless you put them in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/default against all advice.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...