Installation

Cant able to install Universal Forwarder

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

Hi Team,

Previously Universal Forwarder have been installed with 7.0.7 version for Windows server (Windows Server 2012 R2) so I have uninstalled the UF from Control Panel and tried to reinstall with the same version but it throwed an error. Then i have used 7.0.8 version but still the setup got ended with an error as " UniversalForwarder Setup Wizard ended prematurely

UniversalForwarder Setup Wizard ended prematurely because of an error. Your system has not been modified. To install this program at a later time, run Setup Wizard gain. Click the Finish button to exit the Setup Wizard.

So kindly let me know where it lacks since I have completely removed from Control Panel and tried to install but still its throwing an error. I have also rebooted the server and tied the installation as well but still the same error.

So kindly help to check and help me on the same.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

In this case, I'll try to install UF from command line with below command which produces logs in Verbose mode in C:\TEMP\SplunkInstall.log. Additionally run command prompt or powershell in Admin Mode (Run as Administator) to run below command (Replace <splunkforwarder......>.msi with actual msi name)

msiexec.exe /i <splunkforwarder......>.msi AGREETOLICENSE=Yes LAUNCHSPLUNK=0 /l*v C:\TEMP\SplunkInstall.log
0 Karma

deepashri_123
Motivator

Hey @anandhalagarasan,

Can you check if any splunk process that is running?Kill the process and again freshly install the forwarder.
Try referring the below link:
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42448139/how-to-kill-a-specific-task-in-windows-2012-server

Let me know if this helps!!

0 Karma

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

@deepashri_123,

Thanks for your response.
Splunk process (splunkd.exe) is not running in server I have double checked from the server end as well but still i couldn't able to install the UF. Can you kindly help to check and help on the same.

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Have you checked in the installer log? I would think that would be your best indication of what is occurring.
Also, once you uninstalled the original version of the UF, did it leave the folder in program files?

I wonder if it did not cleanly uninstall.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

anandhalagarasa
Path Finder

@nickhillscpl where can i locate the installer log from the client machine

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...