Installation

Cannot delete, move, or clone Saved Searches after upgrade to 5.0

slierninja
Communicator

We just upgraded to Splunk 5.0 and all of our upgraded saved searches and reports can no longer be deleted or moved via SplunkWeb. Why do we have to remove or move them manually from the server?

We also cannot clone our existing saved searches or reports (as an admin we receive: `Encountered the following error while trying to clone: [HTTP 404] Viewstate object not found; view= viewstate=oflqsidy`*).

If we create a new saved search or report - we have access to delete/move and can properly clone without any issues. This seems to be an upgrade issue.

1 Solution

slierninja
Communicator

Turns out that this issue has nothing to do with upgrading - I couldn't delete or move because these searches were imported via an application package (*.spl) and were located in the /default directory instead of the /local directory. Once I moved the saved search config from the /default path to /local/savedsearches.conf I was then able to delete them via Splunk Web - this is just my lack of understanding of what is user-manageable versus system-manageable.

The clone problem exists because the Viewstate ID (vsid) wasn't present in the viewstates.conf. You can either add an empty viewstate or copy the source state by doing the following:

viewstates.conf

#...
[*:oflqsidy]
#...

Once I added the vsid to the viewstates.conf in the /local path, I was able to properly clone.

View solution in original post

carmackd
Communicator

another option is to simply go into the savedsearches.conf for the search in question and delete the vsid attribute.

slierninja
Communicator

Turns out that this issue has nothing to do with upgrading - I couldn't delete or move because these searches were imported via an application package (*.spl) and were located in the /default directory instead of the /local directory. Once I moved the saved search config from the /default path to /local/savedsearches.conf I was then able to delete them via Splunk Web - this is just my lack of understanding of what is user-manageable versus system-manageable.

The clone problem exists because the Viewstate ID (vsid) wasn't present in the viewstates.conf. You can either add an empty viewstate or copy the source state by doing the following:

viewstates.conf

#...
[*:oflqsidy]
#...

Once I added the vsid to the viewstates.conf in the /local path, I was able to properly clone.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...