Installation

Cannot create Index

deepakc

Hi
(I'm new to splunk )

Environment: Splunk 7.1 / RHEL6.5

I have create my own log file for test purposes / learning (its like a syslog log) and I can see the data in splunk. But when I try to create an index for it I get the error below, does anyone know what could be causing this ?

ERROR MESSAGE:

Data could not be written: /nobody/search/indexes/testosboot/thawedPath: $SPLUNK_DB/testosboot/thaweddb

Rgdsalt text
Dee

0 Karma
1 Solution

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Does the path

/var/splunkdata/security 

exist and is it writable by the splunk user?

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

0 Karma

deepakc

I should have rebooted after uninstalling version 7.0 and then perform a clean install of version 7.1

0 Karma

micahkemp
Champion

Cold and Thawed paths aren't pointing to /var/splunkdata/security, at least the screenshot doesn't indicate it is. Those paths still make use of $SPLUNK_DB, which isn't discernible from what was posted.

You may need to define cold and thawed path explicity, unless $SPLUNK_DB is set to something that makes sense (has sufficient space and is writeable by the splunk user).

0 Karma

deepakc

thanks for the pointers, by uninstalling it and reinstalling, then checking the permissions, its working now

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Does the path

/var/splunkdata/security 

exist and is it writable by the splunk user?

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

deepakc

thanks I did checked the permissions, and it was correct as I could write to the folder as the user , I uninstalled it all, rebooted, reinstalled 7.1 and after it was ok... (so I must have made a mistake somewhere and did have version 7.0 installed, which I uninstalled but did not reboot)

thanks for the pointers

Dee

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...