Installation

Can adding a new license before existing one expires cause issues?

MegSplunk
Path Finder

I have a single Splunk instance (No master slave configuration). Our Splunk license will expire on 31 Dec,2013. I added a new license before the earlier one expired. Splunk now shows 2 licenses simultaneously. Can this cause any issues or when the earlier one expires, Splunk will automatically associate my instance with the newly added one?

Looking at the document here, it seems as if this should not be a problem.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

No, that should not cause any problems. Splunk will allow itself to use the available license space, regardless of whether that is from a single license or several combined licenses.

If (both of) your licenses are TERM licenses, I'd assume that the same rules apply. What does it say in the Licence page in Manager (next to the new license)? Valid, Expired, not yet valid?

hth,

K

View solution in original post

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

No, that should not cause any problems. Splunk will allow itself to use the available license space, regardless of whether that is from a single license or several combined licenses.

If (both of) your licenses are TERM licenses, I'd assume that the same rules apply. What does it say in the Licence page in Manager (next to the new license)? Valid, Expired, not yet valid?

hth,

K

MegSplunk
Path Finder

Asked to make sure. Thanks

0 Karma

Ayn
Legend

Are you actually seeing some kind of problems, or are you asking just to make sure? Like kristian says the only thing that will happen is that the license is added to the pool that license usage can be drawn from, so there's no conflict or anything.

MegSplunk
Path Finder

Thank you for your reply. It says Valid in the Licence page in Manager (next to the new license). So I assume we're good to go?

Thanks again

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...