Installation

Can I use the same unlimited enterprise license on several indexers without using a licensing server?

maclemes
Explorer

My company has one unlimited Splunk license, and many different teams who should use that one license. Does that mean we should have one licensing master for the company, and all our separate team setups should connect to it as license slaves?

Now, in my team's setup, I've tried adding that license to my 4 indexers (so all of them see themselves as licensing masters), and I haven't received any type of warning linked to that. I did that so that I wouldn't have to have a dedicated licensing server. Is there a problem in using the license that way? The only concern that people seem to raise is that I won't be able to manage my quota in a centralized place, but I feel like it's okay since my license is unlimited anyway...

Any advice or opinion?

Labels (2)

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

An interesting document at -
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0ahUKEwiQtNakzbzLAhWsnIMKHVmVAVU...

It says -

Splunk License Management -
PRE-4.2 Use a different Splunk license on each indexer. Re-using a Splunk license violates the AUP and breaks distributed search as well as other Splunk-to-Splunk activities.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You need to have a global license server and have all indexers be setup as license slaves to the same master. You Splunk sales team who sold you this license should have set this up for you.

vasildavid
Path Finder

I think you identified the right way to handle this:

Does that mean we should have one
licensing master for the company, and
all our separate team setups should
connect to it as license slaves?

This will also help your organization keep track of who is using the unlimited license and justify costs with keeping that unlimited license. Also, if I had to guess, there is probably some legalese somewhere stating that you should not load the same license key on multiple separate systems - though I could not quickly find reference to such in my Software License Agreement.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...