Installation

Can I use the same Splunk purchase license in my development server and production server?

saibal6
Path Finder

I have purchased a Splunk license.
Can I use that license in my development server and production server both?
My development server and production server are different.

Please suggest a link also.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm pretty sure thats not the right way, although it would technically be possible.

However, there is a good approach to this - the free Splunk 50GB license for test and dev environments:
https://www.splunk.com/en_us/resources/personalized-dev-test-licenses.html

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

saibal6
Path Finder

Yes @xpac you are right. But I'm using free licensing mode for Splunk Enterprise.
I have some pending task in my development server like notification alert,report generation which is not possible in free licensing mode.
So could you please tell me how can I do those tasks in my development server?

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't really understand the issue. You have a paid license for your production system, right? You can get an equivalent, free license for a test/dev system on request. That is not the same free, but restricted license you get when you only install Splunk - it has to be requested via the link above.

0 Karma

saibal6
Path Finder

Yes @xpac I have a paid license for my production system.
I have checked with your above mentioned link and successfully done the process.
They'll send me license via mail but I can use that license in my existing Development server Splunk? or I have to do the installation again for Splunk in my Development server?

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can simply use the new license, no re-install neccessary.

0 Karma

saibal6
Path Finder

Okay. Thank you @xpac for your helping without this much of information and help I don't think I can solve my issue. Thanks alot @xpac

0 Karma

saibal6
Path Finder

Hi @xpac,

I got a mail from Splunk Inc, in that mail they said "Attached is your personalized Splunk Enterprise Dev/Test license key which allows you to index up to 50GB per day for 6 months and will expire on 11/06/2018".

They mentioned it for 6 months but it will expire on 11/06/2018. How is this possible?
Can you give me any suggestion that where I can contact for this issue?

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Because they use broken American time formats, in which 11/06/2018 actually means 6.11.2018, which is exactly 6 months from now. You can also just re-apply for a new license before the old one expires.

0 Karma

saibal6
Path Finder

Thanks @xpac 🙂

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm pretty sure thats not the right way, although it would technically be possible.

However, there is a good approach to this - the free Splunk 50GB license for test and dev environments:
https://www.splunk.com/en_us/resources/personalized-dev-test-licenses.html

Hope that helps!

saibal6
Path Finder

Hi @xpac ,

As you mentioned above in the answer. I have applied two times for the dev-test-licenses, where my first dev-test-license was expired today (07.11.2018) and when I put my new license in the add license, it getting me an error.

Could you please tell me how can use my second dev-test-license in the same Splunk environment.

Is there chances to loose any data which was modified in my first dev-test-license after using my second dev-test-license?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...