Installation

Can I use the same Splunk purchase license in my development server and production server?

saibal6
Path Finder

I have purchased a Splunk license.
Can I use that license in my development server and production server both?
My development server and production server are different.

Please suggest a link also.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm pretty sure thats not the right way, although it would technically be possible.

However, there is a good approach to this - the free Splunk 50GB license for test and dev environments:
https://www.splunk.com/en_us/resources/personalized-dev-test-licenses.html

Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

saibal6
Path Finder

Yes @xpac you are right. But I'm using free licensing mode for Splunk Enterprise.
I have some pending task in my development server like notification alert,report generation which is not possible in free licensing mode.
So could you please tell me how can I do those tasks in my development server?

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't really understand the issue. You have a paid license for your production system, right? You can get an equivalent, free license for a test/dev system on request. That is not the same free, but restricted license you get when you only install Splunk - it has to be requested via the link above.

0 Karma

saibal6
Path Finder

Yes @xpac I have a paid license for my production system.
I have checked with your above mentioned link and successfully done the process.
They'll send me license via mail but I can use that license in my existing Development server Splunk? or I have to do the installation again for Splunk in my Development server?

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You can simply use the new license, no re-install neccessary.

0 Karma

saibal6
Path Finder

Okay. Thank you @xpac for your helping without this much of information and help I don't think I can solve my issue. Thanks alot @xpac

0 Karma

saibal6
Path Finder

Hi @xpac,

I got a mail from Splunk Inc, in that mail they said "Attached is your personalized Splunk Enterprise Dev/Test license key which allows you to index up to 50GB per day for 6 months and will expire on 11/06/2018".

They mentioned it for 6 months but it will expire on 11/06/2018. How is this possible?
Can you give me any suggestion that where I can contact for this issue?

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Because they use broken American time formats, in which 11/06/2018 actually means 6.11.2018, which is exactly 6 months from now. You can also just re-apply for a new license before the old one expires.

0 Karma

saibal6
Path Finder

Thanks @xpac 🙂

0 Karma

xpac
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm pretty sure thats not the right way, although it would technically be possible.

However, there is a good approach to this - the free Splunk 50GB license for test and dev environments:
https://www.splunk.com/en_us/resources/personalized-dev-test-licenses.html

Hope that helps!

saibal6
Path Finder

Hi @xpac ,

As you mentioned above in the answer. I have applied two times for the dev-test-licenses, where my first dev-test-license was expired today (07.11.2018) and when I put my new license in the add license, it getting me an error.

Could you please tell me how can use my second dev-test-license in the same Splunk environment.

Is there chances to loose any data which was modified in my first dev-test-license after using my second dev-test-license?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...