Installation

Can I install a "no-enforcement" key on an older version of Splunk?

oda
Communicator

I am using an older version.
A "no-enforcement" key was issued from Splunk.

I know that I cant use the new capability.
Can I install a "no-enforcement" key on an older version of Splunk?

https://www.splunk.com/en_us/resources/splunk-enterprise-metered-license-enforcement-faq.html

Do I need to upgrade to Splunk Enterprise 6.5 in order to get the new capability? Is there an exception process?
You must upgrade at least the License Master in your deployment to 6.5 to take advantage of this capability.
The “no-enforcement” key is ONLY compatible with 6.5 license stacks.
Attempting to install a "no-enforcement" key on an older version of Splunk will result in an error stating the key is unrecognized.

There is no exception process.

I feel that both of them can be caught from the following sentences.
Is installation to an older version supported?

thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Karma

mdsnmss
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Here is the License Enforcement FAQ: https://www.splunk.com/en_us/resources/splunk-enterprise-metered-license-enforcement-faq.html.

It does say that the key is only compatible with 6.5+ license stacks. Attempting to install the key on an older version will result in an error saying the key is unrecognized.

oda
Communicator

Thanks for your comment.
It was the same as my link.
It has a description "in order to get the new capability"
I will not use new features.
What do you think?

0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer

"No-enforcement" is a new capability. If you don't want this then you need Splunk to cut you a pre-6.5 license

0 Karma

oda
Communicator

Thank you for answering.
I confirmed that I can install it.
What does "cut" mean?

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

s/cut/create/g

That's my nerdy way of saying that the term 'cut' is used cutely to imagine our license team like a sausage factory (original purpose of our office!) cutting meat slices for you. So, imagine @acharlieh merely used the word 'create' instead of 'cut'.

Cool?

0 Karma

oda
Communicator

I am sorry that I am not good at English.
I can install a "no-enforcement" key on an older version of Splunk.
And it is supported by Splunk.
Is it OK?

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
0 Karma

oda
Communicator

I understand that it supports only 6.5 and later.
Is it right?

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Sounds accurate!

0 Karma

kmorris_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

At a minimum, you would need to upgrade your license server. Can you provide more info on your architecture? Is your license server running on another component, or is it by itself? What version of Splunk are you currently running? I would check this to make sure there are no compatibility issues depending on your current version, but you should be OK.

oda
Communicator

Thanks for your comment.
I dont need the new capability.
Is it still necessary to upgrade?
The license server is a search head.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...