Installation

Can I have 2 kinds of licenses on one license master?

vikram_m
Path Finder

We have a license of 200Gb which is regularly getting violated.

Splunk suggested a non-prod license for our manager for 6 months, so he is suggesting that I change the non-prod license to that dev license by Splunk 50GB daily.

My doubt is:

(1) on the license manager where 200GB license is deployed can I deploy another instance of non-prod license where Splunk is already specified that non-prod license can not be integrated with any other non-prod or prod license.

(2) If non-prod license can be deployed on the same machine please help me understand how can I assign non-prod indexes to that license so that the 200GB license can be totally dedicated to prod servers.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

vikram_m
Path Finder

Yes ddrillic the next plan is to go for the same license you are mentioning above. Thanks.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Just keep in mind the following based on Types of Splunk software licenses

-- If your license master is running Splunk Enterprise 6.5.0 or later, you can use a no-enforcement Enterprise license. This new license type allows users to keep searching even if you acquire five warnings in a 30 day window. Your license master still considers itself in violation, but search is not blocked.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

If someone at Splunk told you that this non-prod license they gave your manager cannot be combined with prod licenses, then I'd assume they're correct about their own licenses. You're not going to get license terms-of-use advice here, talk to your Splunk rep about that.

vikram_m
Path Finder

Thanks for your reply Martin.

But my doubt remains same i.e even though I keep both the prod and non-prod license do I need another server to put in with the non prod server or if the same server can be kept with 2 license files which are used for specific purposes.

Thanks.
Vikram.

0 Karma

vikram_m
Path Finder

But my doubt remains same i.e even though I keep both the prod and non-prod license do I need another server to put in with the non prod server or if the same server can be kept with 2 license files which are used for specific purposes.

Thanks.
Vikram.

0 Karma

vikram_m
Path Finder

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Since none of us (fellow Splunk users, not employees) know the terms of your licenses, we can't give a precise answer to your question. As martin_mueller has said, you should contact your Splunk rep about whether you are allowed to combine licenses.

It occurs to me that perhaps you want to know if you can use the two licenses on separate instances of Splunk on one piece of [virtual] hardware. If the server has sufficient resources, then, yes, you can have two (or more) Splunks running on it. There are issues to contend with (port numbers being the most significant), but it can be done.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...