Installation

After upgrading my search head and indexer to Splunk 6.3.1, why am I seeing a decrease in performance and increase in CPU and memory usage?

rmsit
Communicator

Hello, all.

I upgraded my single search head and indexer to version 6.3.1. I am aware of the CPU resource improvements with this release, however, I've noticed a slight decrease in performance (UI responsiveness) and increase CPU and Memory usage overall. Should I just assume this is the new norm and add resources to hopefully improve system response? I am running Splunk on virtual machines and have applied the best practices.

Thanks,
James

Labels (2)
0 Karma

risgupta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This message means your search processes are taking >1s to read initial configuration information from disk. What does the I/O subsystem underneath $SPLUNK_HOME/etc look like in your environment? If $SPLUNK_HOME/etc is networked storage, for example, there might be disk/network performance issues affecting search startup time.

0 Karma

rmsit
Communicator

I'm also receiving the alert below after upgrading:

Configuration initialization for Drive:\Program Files\Splunk\etc took longer than expected (1289ms) when dispatching a search (search ID: xxx__xxx__search__search5_1447719591.31937); this typically reflects underlying storage performance issues

Is this really a disk I/O issue?

0 Karma

stevepraz
Path Finder

What OS are you running on? I have seem similar issues and log messages on my Windows search head after upgrading to 6.3 and 6.3.1.

0 Karma

rmsit
Communicator

I'm running on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 Enterprise SP1.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

The majority of the benefits are on Indexers; did you upgrade them or just the Search Head?

0 Karma

rmsit
Communicator

Yes, I upgraded the search head first, then the indexer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...