Installation

After upgrading from Splunk 6.1.7 to 6.3.1, why does Splunk report that it is Splunk 4.0?

ben363
Path Finder

I've upgraded Splunk from 6.1.7 to 6.3.1.

Splunk Help->About now says: "Splunk Version 4.0, Splunk Build 000, Current App Search & Reporting, App Version 6.3.1, Server Name N/A".

Why? Does this mean the upgrade didn't work?

Do I have to uninstall and reinstall?

splunk --version says:
"Splunk 6.3.1 (build f3e41e4b37b2)"

This box would probably once have had Splunk 5.0.4 on it, but I don't think it ever had anything earlier than that.

Labels (1)

tywhite
Explorer

We opened up a case for this bug and was told that there is a slated fix in the next release (6.6.4).

0 Karma

tywhite
Explorer

Opened a new case with support as this has reoccurred even after upgrading to 7.0.

0 Karma

nk-1
Path Finder

Upgraded from v6.5.2 to v6.6.2, and I see v4.0 now too:
http://imgur.com/a/zFPAk

0 Karma

lycollicott
Motivator

Our SHC is version 6.6.0, but we are seeing this 4.0 thing now. Once last week, so we did a rolling restart to resolve it. Today it is back.

We are in production, so there must be a better recourse than a fresh install.

bug

tywhite
Explorer

It has happened again today and our SHC is version 6.6.2 now.

Has anyone found a cause and permanent solution to this issue?

A rolling restart will temporarily resolve the issue and we don't have the luxury to do a fresh install.

Something else that I checked this time was the debug info for each of the individual search heads: http://SearchHeadName/en-US/debug/echo?ping=ok

All but one of the search heads were showing UNKNOWN_VERSION listed in the "Server Info" at the bottom of the debug window.

I logged into each one individually as the admin account using their respective URLs (http://SearchHeadName/en-US/account/login?loginType=Splunk) and then reloaded the debug URL, and this time the correct version was displayed in the Server Info.

After I finished logging into each one, I logged back into the URL for the SHC and this time the correct version was shown.

If anyone else has any info on this then please share. Thanks!

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This doesn't sound right at all. It should list the correct installed version and also show you a valid hostname following "Server Name". If you have the luxury, I would probably do a clean install from scratch.

0 Karma

ben363
Path Finder

And that's exactly what I've done. The worry is that it may happen again on a box where I don't have the same luxury.

0 Karma

lfedak_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hey @ben363, did the reinstall work out for you permanently? Another user commented on this post today reporting this issue.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...