Installation

After installing Splunk Enterprise 6.4.1, why does changing my license group from "Enterprise Trial" to "Free" cause a switch to Hunk?

sjodle
Path Finder

I've just installed Splunk Enterprise 6.4.1 (from the latest RPM on the website) on a new Fedora machine.

After switching my license group from "Enterprise Trial" to "Free" and restarting, Splunk seems to have converted itself to Hunk. All branding has changed from "Splunk Enterprise" to "Splunk Hunk", including the login screen, about box, and favicon.

Is this expected behavior? I've never seen it before.

Labels (1)
1 Solution

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should be able to use Splunk Enterprise normally.

I've seen some oddities with the free license in past versions as well... in essence, you've got a free Hunk license with your free Enterprise version, and some parts have a slightly confused identity.

View solution in original post

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You should be able to use Splunk Enterprise normally.

I've seen some oddities with the free license in past versions as well... in essence, you've got a free Hunk license with your free Enterprise version, and some parts have a slightly confused identity.

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No doubt about that.

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There is indeed a defect in the way the software is reading the license files. Starting in 6.4, the Linux trial license contains Hunk add-ons. When you switch to another license, it is still reading in the Hunk add-ons. When the defect is fixed, the software will ignore the trial license when it is no longer in use.

In the meantime, as a workaround, you can delete the trial license from your $SPLUNKHOME/etc/licenses directory and everything should display correctly.

hemendralodhi
Contributor

This worked. Thanks you

0 Karma

sjodle
Path Finder

Thanks. That's just kind of a weird way to communicate that in the UI.

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

Very weird because Hunk 6.4.1 Out-Of-The-Box doesn't mention the word Hunk.

0 Karma

sjodle
Path Finder

This is what I'm seeing in About, if it clarifies anything. The same logo appears on the login page.

About Splunk>Hunk

0 Karma

ddrillic
Ultra Champion

alt text

Weird thing as my About shows - splunk>enterprise.

0 Karma

sjodle
Path Finder

Mine looked like that until I applied the free license.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...