Installation

A few questions about Splunk Enterprise licenses?

koolvasco
Explorer

I Have some questions regarding Splunk Enterprise License:

Q1. If we purchase a license for Windows-based application, is the same license compatible for Linux, too?
Q2. If a license is not inter-platform compatible, then how do we make it work with diff OS flavor?
Q3. What is the cost of 1Gb/Per Day Perpetual and 100Gb/Per Day Perpetual License, with and without annual support?
Q4. If I purchase License for Splunk Enterprise v7.0, up to which version will the same license will work?

Labels (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Its probably best to reach out to an account manager for answers to these, but I'll take a stab.

1.) The licence is platform independent - you can use any OS Splunk runs on.
2.) NA - See 1
3.) You will defo. need a quote to answer this. Support is a % of the licence fee. Again talk to your vendor/account manager
4.) Licences are not version specific. Your 7 licence will work with older versions, and (assuming no major changes in the future) should work with all future versions. - Hence the term perpetual.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

A1: N/A. License is installed inside the Splunk software running with a License Server role and Splunk software can run on either Windows or Linux.
A2. N/A. See A1.
A3. See sticker prices here https://www.splunk.com/en_us/products/pricing.html. Technically, it is a license violation to run a splunk license without a current support contract.
A4. Licenses do not expire on versions, only on terms (such as annual, at the end of the year). Perpetual licenses are good forever.

0 Karma

koolvasco
Explorer

Thanks Mr Woodcock

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Its probably best to reach out to an account manager for answers to these, but I'll take a stab.

1.) The licence is platform independent - you can use any OS Splunk runs on.
2.) NA - See 1
3.) You will defo. need a quote to answer this. Support is a % of the licence fee. Again talk to your vendor/account manager
4.) Licences are not version specific. Your 7 licence will work with older versions, and (assuming no major changes in the future) should work with all future versions. - Hence the term perpetual.

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!

koolvasco
Explorer

Thanks nickhillscpl for your answer

esix_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk license is based on daily ingest, not on the OS version, nor on the number of clients connecting. Window or Linux, 5 or 5000 servers, doesnt matter. There are premium apps which do have a difference licensing price.

For Q3, you should talk to sales@splunk.com and a rep will get in contact with you to discuss pricing.

License currently isnt version bound.

0 Karma

koolvasco
Explorer

Thanks esix

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...