Installation

64-bit support in Mac OS 10.6

staze
Path Finder

I'm curious when we might see 64-bit support in Mac OS 10.6. 10.5 ran 64-bit just fine, but 10.6 does not, it runs in 32-bit.

Posted in the forums here: http://www.splunk.com/support/forum:SplunkGeneral/4382 but received no response.

Thanks!

Tags (2)

Mick
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We don't have a timeline for a 64-bit release on Snowleopard I'm afraid, so I can't give you an expected date. It's on the Development list of 'things-to-do' but not a priority right now. If this is something that would be important for a major deployment, you can feed this info to the PM team via your Sales rep or by filing a request for it via the Support Case process.

staze
Path Finder

submitting support ticket seems to have done nothing (haven't heard back at all)... that was on Jan 11, 2011. 2+ months seems like a long time, even for free support.

And with 4.2 out today, I was hoping against hope we'd see 64-bit, but alas, still 32-bit.

Anything?

0 Karma

staze
Path Finder

wow, that's a shame. If it hadn't been supported in 10.5 I could almost say "eh, whatever" but to have it, then drop support for it just seems cold.

0 Karma

Mick
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

No further progress has been made on this build in recent Dev cycles, it looks like it has fallen off the priority list, likely because there hasn't been anybody clamouring for it. You could try submitting a request for it via a support case, but no guarantee it will happen any time soon, if at all. Sorry

0 Karma

staze
Path Finder

great, thank you!

0 Karma

Mick
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I havent heard anything on it in a while. I'll ping the Engineering side and see if it's on the cards for any time soon.

0 Karma

staze
Path Finder

@Mick: Is there any chance there is news on this?

0 Karma

staze
Path Finder

Mick,

Thanks! I was hoping for somewhat better news, but I guess I'll just take it as good that it's on the list. Maybe for 4.2 or 4.5 then, or I'll just look at moving our install to Linux.

And no, we're using Splunk Free since we have a small amount of inputs, but the search boost, and efficiency would be nice to get back with 64-bit.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...