Getting Data In

xyseries removes field line break

vini98limasilva
Explorer

Hi, I have the following search where I create two fields which has a line break (Topic and value):

index="example" sourcetype="trial"
| stats avg(availability) as value, dc(name) as Number
| eval value = tostring(value) + ":" + tostring(Number) + " of " + tostring(Number) | makemv delim=":" value
| eval Topic="C" + ":" + "Serviceplans" | makemv delim=":" Topic
| eval Time="10/2019"
| xyseries Topic Time value

When I do this xyseries will remove the linebreak from field Topic but won't do the same for value. I wanted that both fields keep the line break.

Thanks!

1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

There are some VERY long-standing subtle bugs related to makemv and similar commands when using delim= where splunk "remembers" things that it should not. This is unequivocally a bug. Here is a search that proves that when you remove the makemv, that it works:

| makeresults 
| eval _raw="value,Number
2.5,4"
| multikv
| eval value = tostring(value) + ":" + tostring(Number) + " of " + tostring(Number) 
| makemv delim=":" value
| eval Topic="C
Serviceplans" 
| eval Time="10/2019"

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

There are some VERY long-standing subtle bugs related to makemv and similar commands when using delim= where splunk "remembers" things that it should not. This is unequivocally a bug. Here is a search that proves that when you remove the makemv, that it works:

| makeresults 
2.5,4"
| multikv
| eval value = tostring(value) + ":" + tostring(Number) + " of " + tostring(Number) 
| eval Topic="C
Serviceplans" 
| eval Time="10/2019"
0 Karma

vini98limasilva
Explorer

Thanks @woodcock, I just separated the string in different rows! Funny bug though.

to4kawa
Ultra Champion
| makeresults 
2.5,4"
| multikv
| eval Topic="C" + ":" + "Serviceplans" 
| makemv delim=":" Topic
| eval Time="10/2019"
`comment("this is sample data")`
| eval zipped=mvzip(Topic,value)
| mvexpand zipped
| streamstats count
| eval Topic=mvindex(Topic,count -1), value=mvindex(value,count -1)
| table Time Topic value

Hi, @vini98limasilva
How about this?

0 Karma

vini98limasilva
Explorer

Hi @to4kawa,

Almost, it separated the values in different rows which wasn't exactly what I needed. Thanks for the answer anyway 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...