Getting Data In

vSphere Client Splunk VM using high Host Memory

wuming79
Path Finder

Hi,

I noticed my splunk vm is eating up a lot of host memory. I'm starting from 1GB to 2GB and now 8GB and it is always at full bar. What can I do to reduce the host memory usage? Is this due to too many data indexed?

0 Karma
1 Solution

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Are you aware of the requirements to run a Splunk indexer on VMWare?
Splunk has pretty significant resource requirements for indexers to begin with and adhering to the best practices for virtualized indexers outlined in the document linked above is pretty much the only path to happiness.

There are a lot of things an indexer needs memory for. The indexing pipeline is one of them, but indexers are also handling search requests from the search heads. Things like large lookup files can increase your memory footprint.

As long as you don't experience symptoms of a memory leak, where RAM usage is increasing until the VM fails, anything between 1 and16GB is pretty normal for a busy indexer.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

s2_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Are you aware of the requirements to run a Splunk indexer on VMWare?
Splunk has pretty significant resource requirements for indexers to begin with and adhering to the best practices for virtualized indexers outlined in the document linked above is pretty much the only path to happiness.

There are a lot of things an indexer needs memory for. The indexing pipeline is one of them, but indexers are also handling search requests from the search heads. Things like large lookup files can increase your memory footprint.

As long as you don't experience symptoms of a memory leak, where RAM usage is increasing until the VM fails, anything between 1 and16GB is pretty normal for a busy indexer.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...