Getting Data In

syslog message filtering

appmandan
Path Finder

Is there a configuration file or something I can use to keep splunk from indexing a syslog message with a certain host ip or a certain message sting in the body? I'm playing with the cisco security suite and there are a few things I want to drop before they get indexed.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

Drainy
Champion

There is something called a nullQueue in splunk, when an event arrives it goes through several stages of parsing and queues before eventually being indexed. Just before it arrives at the index you can filter off certain events into a "nullQueue". These do not get indexed and simply get written away.

Have a read of;
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Deploy/Routeandfilterdatad#Filter_event_data_and_...

If you have any problems then just update your question with anything you've tried and the community can help troubleshoot it further.

View solution in original post

Drainy
Champion

There is something called a nullQueue in splunk, when an event arrives it goes through several stages of parsing and queues before eventually being indexed. Just before it arrives at the index you can filter off certain events into a "nullQueue". These do not get indexed and simply get written away.

Have a read of;
http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Deploy/Routeandfilterdatad#Filter_event_data_and_...

If you have any problems then just update your question with anything you've tried and the community can help troubleshoot it further.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...