Getting Data In

splunkweb service fails on windows after upgrade to 4.3

mataharry
Communicator

I upgraded from 4.2.* to 4.3 in windows,
Since the service splunkweb fail to start, and here is the error :

The instance's SvcRun() method failed
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\site-packages\win32\win32serviceutil.py", line 785, in SvcRun
self.SvcDoRun()
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin\SplunkWebService.py", line 37, in SvcDoRun
subprocess.call(gMakeCertsCmd)
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\subprocess.py", line 493, in call
return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\subprocess.py", line 679, in init
errread, errwrite)
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\subprocess.py", line 893, in execute_child
startupinfo)
: [Error 193] File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\site-packages\win32\win32serviceutil.py", line 785, in SvcRun
self.SvcDoRun()
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin\SplunkWebService.py", line 37, in SvcDoRun
subprocess.call(gMakeCertsCmd)
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\subprocess.py", line 493, in call
return Popen(*popenargs, **kwargs).wait()
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\subprocess.py", line 679, in __init
_
errread, errwrite)
File "C:\Program Files\Splunk\Python-2.7\Lib\subprocess.py", line 893, in _execute_child
startupinfo) is not a valid Win32 application

Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It is a uncommon issue, probably issue during the upgrade.

By the way, this error message is likely caused by invalid file name in c:\Program Files\Splunk\bin OR $SPLUNK_HOME\bin. Search for a file named program or files or Splunk or bin and likely 0 byte size. If you find it remove it and try to startup.

View solution in original post

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It is a uncommon issue, probably issue during the upgrade.

By the way, this error message is likely caused by invalid file name in c:\Program Files\Splunk\bin OR $SPLUNK_HOME\bin. Search for a file named program or files or Splunk or bin and likely 0 byte size. If you find it remove it and try to startup.

cramasta
Builder

I had the same problem during a upgrade on windows.

0 Karma

mataharry
Communicator

I checked in the Splunk folders, and found a zero-byte file named Splunk. I renamed that to zzzSplunkzzz, tried to start the service, and it started fine.

thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...