Getting Data In

splunk_server

halbeisendv
Path Finder

I frequently envoke on my search head against a indexer cluster with 10 members:

index= | dedup splunk_server | table splunk_server

If my search is less than 10, it's usually an indicator of a indexer problem. Today, I happened to envoke my command, saw that the indexer count was only 9. When I ran a follow-on search of index=_internal host= there was a gap/stoppage in the data.

After searching around looking for a gap in the data (any indexed data), a crash, a restart, a stop and a start, I am unable to find corroborating evidence that splunk was ever down, if in fact it ever was. The whole/gap in the data is gone. I was not able to hop on the VM with my unix credentials to look around.

Any words of wisdom on why the initial search "index= | dedup splunk_server | table splunk_server" was missing an indexer. Is there merit in this search and/or is this some other quick method to see what's happening. Due to constraints of my access, I only had the search head to work with -- other components of my environment are not available as a remote user. Thank you.

0 Karma
1 Solution

halbeisendv
Path Finder

Your response was very useful. Thank you.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

halbeisendv
Path Finder

][1]
I did accept your answer.

0 Karma

halbeisendv
Path Finder

Your response was very useful. Thank you.

0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

Try one of these instead:

| tstats count where index=* by splunk_server, _time

| tstats count where index=_internal by splunk_server, _time

Or build upon them to get the data you are looking for.

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

Glad to hear that solved it for you. If it did, please "accept" my answer.

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...