Getting Data In

serverclass.conf blacklist not working

banderson7
Communicator

I'm transitioning my hosts from one set of indexers in Seattle to another set in Atlanta, in between, a heavy forwarder. I created a new forwarder app to install on the hosts, and created a serverclass to assign it. The app was installed on the host, but the old app wasn't removed. Below is my config:

[global]
restartSplunkd=true     
stateOnClient = enabled 

[serverClass:UF_config]
filterType = blacklist
blacklist.0 = swfctxfrm05
whitelist.0 = *
[serverClass:UF_config:app:UFconfig]

[serverClass:test_ctx]
filtertype = whitelist
whitelist.0 = swfctxfrm05
[serverClass:test_ctx:app:NewUFConfig]
[serverClass:test_ctx:app:10_inputs_windows_citrix]
[serverClass:test_ctx:app:Splunk_TA_Windows_4.8]

I thought the changing of filtertype from whitelist to blacklist would mean that I'd be able to add a host in the blacklist section before the whitelist section, which would then remove the UF_Config app from swfctxfrm05. swfctxfrm05 received the NewUFConfig app, but the UF_Config app is still there as well. Could someone help w/ this?

0 Karma
1 Solution

cramasta
Builder

Try it like this. White list everything for the class name, then in the app class definition use the blacklist.

filterType = whitelist
whitelist.0 = *

filterType=blacklist

View solution in original post

0 Karma

cramasta
Builder

Try it like this. White list everything for the class name, then in the app class definition use the blacklist.

filterType = whitelist
whitelist.0 = *

filterType=blacklist
0 Karma

banderson7
Communicator

That's interesting. Once I made that change and reloaded the deploy server, the apps listed are 10_inputs_windows_citrix
NewUFConfig
Splunk_TA_Windows_4.8
Splunk_TA_windows_4.8
Not sure why that last one is listed twice. Anyways, it still shows as being in the UF_config serverclass. And the data isn't getting to the new indexers. Is there any place I can check to see if the data is making it to the heavy forwarder?

Thanks for the help, btw.

0 Karma

cramasta
Builder

Also just want to make note that I dont use the Forwarder Management UI for maintaining any of my serverclass.conf settings. I find it easier to work directly in the conf file. While Im confident in the setting I am giving you, I cant say for sure that the Forwarder Management UI will like them.

0 Karma

cramasta
Builder
0 Karma

cramasta
Builder

Ok that sounds promising that now you have the correct apps on swfctxfrm05 (besides the one listed twice. is it possible that Splunk_TA_windows_4.8 was manually created on that host?)

First thing I would check is the splunkd.log file on swfctxfrm05 to see if it is making connections to the heavy forwarder.

You should see events like this in the splunkd.log on swfctxfrm05 , where the IP is the heavy forwarder.
TcpOutputProc - Connected to idx=10.10.10.10:9997

0 Karma

banderson7
Communicator

I don't have local or rdp access to the host in question, but I could check the _internal log via splunk. After doing so, I see that it's connecting to the heavy forwarder, so apparently I messed up my props.conf stanza for forwarding the traffic to the new indexers.
I think this particular problem is solved. Thank you very much for your time and attention 🙂

0 Karma

lycollicott
Motivator

When you pull this serverclass up in the gui and click preview is swfctxfrm05 checked or unchecked?

0 Karma

banderson7
Communicator

The server is shown in that serverclass in the UI, yeah. It's also shown in the old serverclass as well.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...