Getting Data In

retrieving log files from my router

arobinson

I'm a new user of splunk, (demo) I wanted to analyze data from my router. Do I have to modify any setting in my router in order to have the files forwarded to the splunk directory?

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Karma

southeringtonp
Motivator

Everything depends on your router model. The normal way to collect log entries from a router is via syslog.

There are two things you'll need to do:

1. Configure the router to send syslog data
  2. Configure Splunk to receive the data.

For Cisco routers, the command is:

logging 172.16.1.20

Of course, replace the IP address with that of your Splunk server. There are plenty of other syslog references out there. For Juniper, this may help. Many home-class routers have an option to export syslog as well, typically buried under an "Advanced" menu somewhere.

On the Splunk side, you can either configure a Splunk listener on port 514/udp, or you can configure your syslog server to write out to a file and index that. For the latter approach, here's how to configure using syslog-ng.

It's also possible to enable remote logging with other syslog daemons, though you may lose some flexibility. On Windows, look for Kiwi Syslog.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...