Getting Data In

"This is Cindy, it is my new goatfriend"

dvanzuijlekom
Engager

With things winding down during the last days of 2014, I found myself a bit bored and as I was digging through the software to do some analysis and debugging, I found this Easter egg inside the splunk Splunk Universal Forwarder binary (6.2.1 build 245427) on AIX:

"This is Cindy, it is my new goatfriend!"

Anyway, not very relevant, but I thought it was funny and I'd like to share it. Background info is appreciated.

1 Solution

amrit
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This message is part of an assertion in the Splunk CLI, and thus should never be hit/visible outside of "strings" and friends.

Why is it there? Every good assertion should have a specific message associated with it, and "foo37" would be pretty boring... So it looks like at 01:37:29 on 2012/02/11, one of our Russian engineers decided to poke a little fun at our assortment of Albanian engineers. This is Splunk, so naturally, this is all factual. 🙂

View solution in original post

amrit
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This message is part of an assertion in the Splunk CLI, and thus should never be hit/visible outside of "strings" and friends.

Why is it there? Every good assertion should have a specific message associated with it, and "foo37" would be pretty boring... So it looks like at 01:37:29 on 2012/02/11, one of our Russian engineers decided to poke a little fun at our assortment of Albanian engineers. This is Splunk, so naturally, this is all factual. 🙂

MuS
Legend

Not really an easter egg, but fun as well 🙂

|gentimes increment=7d start=-366|eval m=strftime(starttime,"%B")
|stats values(m) as m | map search="|gentimes start=-1 
|eval j=\"751821021021381DDD431621DDD541641821031\"
|fields j|rex field=j max_match=0 (?<j>.)|mvexpand j|eval j=tonumber(j,16)
|stats list(j) as j|eval j=mvjoin(j,\",\")|rex max_match=0 field=j \"(?<j>\d+,\d+,\d+),*\"
|mvexpand j|eval m=$m$|makemv m"|rex field=j "(?<x>\d+),(?<y>\d+),(?<z>\d+)"
|eval s=substr(mvindex(m,x),y,z)|eval s=if(len(s)>0,s," ")
|rex mode=sed field=s "s/i/k/"|stats list(s) as s|eval s=mvjoin(s,"")

MuS
Legend

Seasons update 🙂

|gentimes increment=7d start=-366|eval m=strftime(starttime,"%B") | dedup m
|stats values(m) as m| map search="|gentimes start=-1 
|eval j=\"251241031031381000742731041152711011151\"
|fields j|rex field=j max_match=0 (?<j>.)|mvexpand j|eval j=tonumber(j,16)
|stats list(j) as j|eval j=mvjoin(j,\",\")|rex max_match=0 field=j \"(?<j>\d+,\d+,\d+),*\"
|mvexpand j|eval m=$m$|makemv m"|rex field=j "(?<x>\d+),(?<y>\d+),(?<z>\d+)"
|eval s=substr(mvindex(m,x),y,z)|eval s=if(len(s)>0,s," ")|eval s=lower(s)
|stats list(s) as s|eval "MuS whishes a"=mvjoin(s,"")|fields - s
0 Karma

gfuente
Motivator

No "w" in any month names

🙂

Nice query anyway

0 Karma

rsolutions
Path Finder

nice... lol

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...