Getting Data In

props.conf and syslog

trumpjk
Explorer

I have an entry in props.conf for TZ conversion i.e:

[host::SOMEHOST]
TZ = UTC

If the host is running the universal forwarder the splunk indexer with handle the conversion and display entry using local time.

If I forward logs from host via syslog the indexer does not do the time conversion.

Any suggestions?

0 Karma

emiller42
Motivator

So I'm interpreting this as two separate configurations:

Configuration 1:

• Forwarder on external host, forwarding to Splunk indexer.
  • Splunk indexer has props.conf stanza for that host name with a TZ setting.

Configuration 2

• Syslog on external host sending lines to indexer.
  • Indexer is monitoring syslog locally to index lines.
  • Same props.conf stanza as above.

In the second configuration, the props.conf stanza won't apply as it's specifying the remote host, while the syslog data is being monitored locally (and thus would have the indexer as the host)

In the second scenario, I would recommend using sourcetype or source stanzas to apply the TZ setting, not host. As setting it for the indexer would apply the TZ setting to everything indexed locally. (Including _internal logs) Instead, create a source stanza or sourcetype stanza. (Whichever is most appropriate) and use that.

[source::syslog]
TZ = UTC

if your source name is different, then change accordingly.

trumpjk
Explorer

I was able to add a template to the syslog-ng.conf file to modify date/time stamp to include timezone offset. This solved my problem. Thanks for your help.

0 Karma

emiller42
Motivator

see the following link for an example of using transforms on syslog data:

http://splunk-base.splunk.com/answers/60972/split-syslog-input-into-multiple-indexes

0 Karma

emiller42
Motivator

That makes things more complicated. You're going to want to use a transform to get the appropriate host values out of the individual log lines, then host:: stanzas with the relevant TZ settings. However, I'm not sure if this can be done in one props.conf, or if a heavy forwarder is needed. (HF does the transform portion before forwarding to the indexer)

Can't syslog-ng include timezone in the timestamp of the logs? That would take care of things too. (Although that might not be something you control)

0 Karma

trumpjk
Explorer

To clarify: I edited the props.conf on the indexer. The remote host(s) is forwarding syslog to indexer via syslog-ng. Indexer is receiving logs. I have over 200 systems forwarding via syslog and not all are using same TZ. SOme are EST and some are GMT

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...