Getting Data In

_internal large amounts of data incoming

zubairaizatron
Explorer

i have an average of 100 events coming into the splunk _internal index per minute on a instance that is not very busy and is being used by 2 people. I reduced the bucket size to allow the data to roll over sooner to avoid a disk space error. are there any configurations that im missing that could slow down the incoming events.

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @zubairaizatron,

all the events arrive from an inputs.conf configuration file, so you could reduce some logs to ingest, but I don't hint this.

All the Splunk logs could be useful to debug problems; eventually you could reduce the retention of _internal logs that are the most relevant.

By default it has 30 days retention, you could reduce it to 15 or 10 modifying indexes.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local; if there isn't copy it from default folder and modify.

Anyway, _internal logs don't consume license.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @zubairaizatron,

all the events arrive from an inputs.conf configuration file, so you could reduce some logs to ingest, but I don't hint this.

All the Splunk logs could be useful to debug problems; eventually you could reduce the retention of _internal logs that are the most relevant.

By default it has 30 days retention, you could reduce it to 15 or 10 modifying indexes.conf in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local; if there isn't copy it from default folder and modify.

Anyway, _internal logs don't consume license.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @zubairaizatron,

good for you.

Ciao and happy splunking.

Giuseppe

P.S.: Karma Points are appreciated 😉

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...