Getting Data In

indexes.conf and setting volumes globally

himynamesdave
Contributor

Hi -

I am re-architecting our Splunk environment. I have mounted various volumes to each of my indexers (3 total) for hot, warm and cold buckets.

To do this I have set volumes in an indexes.conf file I will deploy via Deployment Server to the 3 indexers.

/deployment-apps/myapp/default/indexes.conf

[volume:hot_warm]
path = /splunk_data/hot_warm
#DISK SIZE = 2.9TB
maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 2800000

[volume:cold]
#DISK SIZE = 8.8TB
path = /splunk_data/cold
maxVolumeDataSizeMB = 8700000

My question is, will this config set volumes globally for all indexes on the indexer? That is, if another app has an index=x, will that index write hot data to the path; "/splunk_data/hot_warm", for example?

0 Karma
1 Solution

brreeves_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

As long as when you set up homePath=volume:hot_warm/indexname/db/ in each indexes.conf for each index, then yes. homePath is a required value, so that should be easy.

All you've done so far is tell Splunk that there ARE volumes...you haven't yet told an index to use them.

View solution in original post

brreeves_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

As long as when you set up homePath=volume:hot_warm/indexname/db/ in each indexes.conf for each index, then yes. homePath is a required value, so that should be easy.

All you've done so far is tell Splunk that there ARE volumes...you haven't yet told an index to use them.

himynamesdave
Contributor

Is there anyway to set the path to the volumes globally for each indexer, so that each index uses these volumes by default for the appropriate bucket?

brreeves_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I corrected my original answer, but you already HAVE told Splunk that the volumes exist, but the homePath value is required PER index...so not really a way to set that globally. You should have indexes.conf that get deployed with the apps as well where you could update the homePath.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...