Getting Data In

indexes and universal forwarder

ddholstadz
Explorer

I use the following commands on my light forwarders to add an index and set new files to use it. /opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk add index java /opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk add monitor -index java

When using the universal forwarder I get this error: # /opt/splunkforwarder/bin/splunk add index java The object "index" is not supported on this installation.

What is the proper way to assign files to a specific index when using the universal forwarder?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

ftk
Motivator

Instead of creating the index at the forwarder/universalforwarder, you simply specify which index on the indexer the data should be sent to in your monitor stanza. Check out this section of the docs:

http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Admin/Setupmultipleindexes#Route_events_to_specific_...

View solution in original post

mic
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

In 4.3.3 and going forward, there is a parameter (check-index) that you can set to make this to happen without getting an error message complaining about the nonexistent index. By setting check-index to false, Universal Forwarder would not require the index to be there to begin with, but this is not the default behavior in 4.3.3.

For example:

./splunk add monitor /var/log/case1 -index test_case1 -check-index false

The default behavior is different depending on the version

• 4.3.3 universal forwarder: default check-index is true, which means that it would always check whether the index exists
  • 4.3.4 universal forwarder: default check-index is true, which means that it would always check whether the index exists
  • 4.3.5 universal forwarder: default check-index is true, which means that it would always check whether the index exists
  • 5.0.2 universal forwarder: default check-index is false
0 Karma

ftk
Motivator

Instead of creating the index at the forwarder/universalforwarder, you simply specify which index on the indexer the data should be sent to in your monitor stanza. Check out this section of the docs:

http://www.splunk.com/base/Documentation/latest/Admin/Setupmultipleindexes#Route_events_to_specific_...

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...