Getting Data In

how to Count warm buckets per indexer per index

saulverde
Path Finder

I've been trying to evaluate and control the space being used in our hot/warm vol. I am trying to run searches that will show me the oldest warm data per indexer by index as well as a separate search to count my my warm buckets per indexer by index.

warm bucket count per indexer by index search.
|dbinspect state=warm index=* | stats count by splunk_server index

This is not returning a true count of the buckets stored in our hot/warm vol. For instance this search is returning a count of 2 for our webapp index on indexer idx01 but if I manually go to the bucket location we have almost 300. I need some help understanding this discrepency and hopefully getting a better query...Maybe I need to manually roll some buckets...

The search I am using to try to get an estimate of our oldest hot/warm data by index is this.
index=internal sourcetype=splunkd bucketmover warm_to_cold: | rex field=bucket "db(?\d+)\d+" | sort time_cron |convert ctime(time_cron) | dedup idx splunk_server| table splunk_server idx time_cron

Is this a decent way to do this, is there a better way?

0 Karma
1 Solution

adonio
Ultra Champion

hello there,

the dbinspect command takes the time specified in time picker.
thy and run this at all time

| dbinspect index=*
| search state=warm 
| stats count as bucket_count min(startEpoch) as earliest_event by index splunk_server
| eval earliest_event_human = strftime(earliest_event, "%c")

hope it helps

View solution in original post

PowerPacked
Builder

Hi @saulverde

you can also find the bucket for the indexes in introspection index.

try this search and replace index in data.name=_internal with your index

index="_introspection" sourcetype="splunk_disk_objects" component=indexes data.name=_internal

you will find info event count, size, bucket count for all hot/warm, cold, thawed for the index

Thanks

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Check out the Fire Brigade series of apps:

https://splunkbase.splunk.com/apps/#/search/brigade/

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

hello there,

the dbinspect command takes the time specified in time picker.
thy and run this at all time

| dbinspect index=*
| search state=warm 
| stats count as bucket_count min(startEpoch) as earliest_event by index splunk_server
| eval earliest_event_human = strftime(earliest_event, "%c")

hope it helps

saulverde
Path Finder

Thanks I'm testing that out now. If I don't specify index=* I noticed that it only returns information for the main index. So I added that to your search. It's running now, I'll let you know if it works. Thanks again.

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

yes you re right, forgot to add it.
modifying the answer

0 Karma

adonio
Ultra Champion

another option is to use | rest /services/data/indexes-extended and stats or table relevant fields as you desire for more robust reporting

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...