Getting Data In

how do i install a Universal Forwarder in silent installation and configuring in same time inputs.conf ?

shayfa
Path Finder

Hi,

I want to use silent instillation of splunk forwarder on a windows server.
The splunk server architecture is : 3 indexers and 1 deployment server which is also the head search .
How do i use silent installation to install the forwarder + tell it to work with deployment server (i guess the indexers are not relevant in the installation) + configure inputs.conf so it will index the logs i need on the server with the required sourcetype.

Any idea ?

Thanks Folks.

0 Karma

shayfa
Path Finder

i have managed to install but my deployment server thinks its an indexer and gives the server the conf files of an indexer instead of forwarder.

any idea ?

0 Karma

nickhills
Ultra Champion

Have you configured different deployment classes for both indexers and forwarders?

If so you might want to check your regex in the server class whitelisting to make sure its not pushing the wrong applications

If my comment helps, please give it a thumbs up!
0 Karma

shayfa
Path Finder

Yes this was the problem.

is there any way to edit the inputs.conf in the installation itself and not by publish it through the deployment server ?

0 Karma

schose
Builder

Hi,

this is how you do the unattended install:

set src=%~dp0

start /wait msiexec /i %src%source\splunkforwarder-6.1.3-220630-x64-release.msi AGREETOLICENSE="yes" /lv* %temp%\splunkforwarder-6.1.3-220630-x64-release.msi.log /qb-

after that set the admin password and deployment server:

splunk edit user admin -password Splunky -auth admin:changeme
splunk set deploy-poll mydsserver:8089

then deploy an app configuring inputs.conf and outputs.conf

same for the indexer. deploy splunk.msi and use forwarder-mangement to configure inputs.conf, indexes.conf etc.

Regards,

Andreas

shayfa
Path Finder

Hi,

can you please elaborate more about the command? what is the meaning of each variable and when do i need to fill the details according to my own splunk architecture?

maybe an example with explanation can be great ! 🙂

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...