Getting Data In

duplicate host field when _raw is json

schose
Builder

Hi all,

I'm having non-indexed-extracted json in events. When there is a json "host" field host, which is different from the indexed "host", then the search view is showing you 2 values for host in smart or verbose mode.

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-13 um 18.07.19.png

you can't work with the searchtime extracted json host field - clicking on it gives you no results - as host is an indexed field. 
.. when you are doing a ... | stats count by host, then only "indextimehost" is reported back - as expected.  

this behaviour differers from "normal" kv searchtime detection:

Bildschirmfoto 2021-01-13 um 18.12.01.png

i found multiple posts regarding this like:

https://community.splunk.com/t5/Getting-Data-In/Duplicate-host-field-after-indexing-JSON-event/m-p/2...

unfortunately i'm not able to change the json field name at the source. Rewriting is also no good option for me. 

This more looks like a display bug for me.. but drives the poweruser crasy.  

best Regards,

Andreas

Labels (3)
0 Karma

to4kawa
Ultra Champion

index=_internal | head 1 | fields _raw host
| eval _raw="{\"host\": \"your host\"}"
| spath

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.1/Knowledge/Automatickey-valuefieldextractionsatsea...

In default, KV_MODE=auto. so json is extracted, so if the event has the same name, it will inevitably become.

index=_internal | head 1 | fields _raw host
| eval _raw="{\"host\": \"your host\"}"
| eval hostname=spath(_raw,"host")

how about this?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...