Getting Data In

deleting misconfigured hosts

splunk_user4
Explorer

Hey guys I've been having trouble finding documentation about removing indexed data.

After looking through the "meta woot!" app I saw my hosts were growing a few thousand a day and my estreamer app was logging all .log files as new hosts. I have fixed the logging issue by changing the monitoring string and host segment portion in the .conf file but now looking to remove the .logs file from the host field.

Has anyone ever had an issue like this and know a fix or can point me into the right direction thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Indexed data cannot be changed, removed, modified, deleted, or edited.  You may (if you have permission) be able to use the | delete command to hide unwanted events, but you're stuck with them until they age out of the index.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Indexed data cannot be changed, removed, modified, deleted, or edited.  You may (if you have permission) be able to use the | delete command to hide unwanted events, but you're stuck with them until they age out of the index.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...