Getting Data In

change universal forwarder 4.2 mgmt port

deyeo
Path Finder

How do i change the 4.2 universal forwarder's management port from 8089 to other ports (to prevent conflict with existing port tcp 8089 on my server).

in 4.1, we can change it in the web.conf but it does not work in 4.2 universal forwarder.

Tags (2)
0 Karma

proctorgeorge
Path Finder

If you are looking to change the port that the deployment client (forwarder) looks for on the deployment server to receive its configurations from, then it is set at *\SplunkUniversalForwarder\etc\system\local in deploymentclient.conf which looks like this:

[target-broker:deploymentServer]
targetUri = deployservername:8089

If you are looking for the port that a deployment server manages from, then use mgmtHostPort in web.conf as others have answered.

emhimes
Engager

Thanks - this helped me figure out how to get forwarding working again after a LAN IP migration. I had to dive into an existing Splunk server configuration w/ no documentation by the guy who set it up.

0 Karma

MarioM
Motivator

you can create or modify /splunk/etc/system/local/web.conf with the following value:

[settings]
mgmtHostPort = 127.0.0.1:8090

I tested it on mine and it's works.

MarioM
Motivator

yes i understood it was and i tried on Universal Forwarder.
Is the folder or file permissions ok ? Did you use same syntax in your web.conf as me?

deyeo
Path Finder

that is strange. it does not work for me. take note that it is splunk 4.2 universal forwarder which is a separate installer (splunkforwarder-4.2-96430-xxxx) file from the usual splunk installer, and it installs by default at /opt/splunkforwarder and not the usual /opt/splunk

based on the path that you given, it does not seem that you have tested on splunk 4.2 UNIVERSAL FORWARDER

0 Karma

MarioM
Motivator

You can do it in command line:

splunk set splunkd-port <port number>

deyeo
Path Finder

not exactly viable. because Splunk must be running in order to run the CLI command. And the moment i start & run my Splunk, the Splunk default port would have immediately conflict with existing TCP8089 (before i can even run the CLI command).

Is there a way to change the management port on the first time Splunk starts up (so that it never ever run on TCP8089)?

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...