Getting Data In

apache access_common sourcetype not working

sf_user_199
Path Finder

Hello,

I have recently configured a Splunk light forwarder to monitor an apache access_log. I specified that the file being watched be recognized as an 'access_common' sourcetype. We are using the standard apache output.

Unfortunately, this pre-trained sourcetype does not seem to be parsing the fields in the log data. Is there something else I need to configure? I was under the impression that things like the IP address would be automatically assigned to a field...

Thanks

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

By default, Splunk should extract the standard fields for sourcetypes access_combined, access_combined_wcookie and access_common using the regex in transforms.conf called access-extractions.

Since it's not parsing the data, it probably means that the regex isn't matching your log lines. If you paste a sample line, someone on answers should be able to point out why the extraction fails. Alternately, you can copy the extraction called access-extraction from etc/system/default/transforms.conf to etc/system/local/transforms.conf and tweak it to extract your fields.

View solution in original post

Stephen_Sorkin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

By default, Splunk should extract the standard fields for sourcetypes access_combined, access_combined_wcookie and access_common using the regex in transforms.conf called access-extractions.

Since it's not parsing the data, it probably means that the regex isn't matching your log lines. If you paste a sample line, someone on answers should be able to point out why the extraction fails. Alternately, you can copy the extraction called access-extraction from etc/system/default/transforms.conf to etc/system/local/transforms.conf and tweak it to extract your fields.

wrangler2x
Motivator

which extraction did you remove?

0 Karma

sf_user_199
Path Finder

Thanks - I moved the extraction to /local/transforms.conf and then removed one of the extractions - everything then worked.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...