Getting Data In

XML Log File in Error Tags

Kyle_Brandt
Path Finder

I have an application that creates XML log files. Each entry takes multiple lines and is enclosed in <error> </error> tags, but there are other tags with in it.

From reading other questions I believe I define a source type in the inputs.conf on the machine that has these logs files (light forwarder). If that is true then I believe I define the specifics of this source type in the props.conf file. Should that props.conf file be on the machine with the logs or the indexing machine. Also, what should that props.conf file look like for a file like this. Lastly, how will I clear the already indexed log entries (confused, they think it is one per line) and get it to reindex them properly?

Tags (1)
0 Karma

Genti
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
  • Line breaking / event breaking issues:
    Your xml file is not being parsed correctly and is creating single line events for an event that should be multiline. I assume also the timestamp recognition is wrong?
    Then what you need to do is use props.conf / transforms.conf in order to force splunk to linebreak the events correctly.

• Since your forwarder is a light weight forwarder then you need to put these props/transforms on the INDEXER side.

• Lastly, to clean your already indexed data you can use the clean command

hope this helps.
.gz

0 Karma

Genti
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

NOTE: use the clean command at your own risk, ie. you will lose data if you do not have the raw data still available...

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...