Getting Data In

Working on Securing Data with SSL between Heavy Forwarder and Universal Forwarder using default certificates

YusufK
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi, I am having trouble attempting to get a deployment server and a deployment client to communicate and then access data through the Splunk search using SSL with Splunk default certificates. What steps would I have to go through to achieve this? So I am trying to get my deployment server A with default certs cacert.pem and server.pem in /etc/auth to communicate with Server B which also has the same default certs in /etc/auth. 

I have defined the Deployment Server server.conf and inputs.conf as shown:

[sslConfig]

enableSplunkdSSL = false
useClientSSLCompression = true
serverCert = /xxxxx/splunk/etc/auth/server.pem
sslPassword = password
sslRootCAPath = /xxxx/splunk/etc/auth/cacert.pem
certCreateScript = genMyServerCert.sh

inputs.conf

[SSL]
serverCert = /xxxx/splunk/etc/auth/server.pem
password = password
rootCA = /xxxx/splunk/etc/auth/cacert.pem
requireClientCert = false
sslVersions = tls,-ssl3

On my  Server B or Deployment Client, my server.conf is defined as

[sslConfig]

enableSplunkdSSL = true
[default]
useClientSSLCompression = true
serverCert = /xxxx/splunkforwarder/etc/auth/server.pem
sslPassword = password
sslRootCAPath = /xxxx/splunkforwarder/etc/auth/cacert.pem
certCreateScript = genMyServerCert.sh

What .conf files do I need to edit and what stanzas will I need to define on the Deployment Client(server B) for them to communicate and eventually I can search Server B on my search head? Sorry if this is unclear but I will be answering any questions on what I am asking.

Thank you.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

Hi @YusufK the question heading says about heavy forwarder.. do you want SSL between

UF--->HF--->indexer 

OR

Deployment Server <---> UF

(for this, hope you referred the documentation https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.6/Security/Securingyourdeploymentserverandclients )

0 Karma

YusufK
Loves-to-Learn Lots

Hi I am looking for 

Deployment Server <---> UF

For example, Server A is my Deployment Server AND Heavy Forwarder. Server B is my Deployment Client. I would like them to communicate with the default cert, and I would like searchable results in the search bar for Server B.

Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...