\etc\system\local\transforms.conf

[drop4768OK]
REGEX = EventCode=4768(.|\t|\r|\n)*Result.*Code.*0x0
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

\etc\system\local\props.conf

[source::WinEventLog:Security]
TRANSFORMS-set = drop4768OK

After a reboot, events with Event Code 4768 and Result Code 0x0 are still being indexed. What am I doing wrong?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

First of all, you should have a better RegEx, like ^EventCode=4768[\S\s\r\n]+Result\s*Code:\s+0x0\D. Even so, yours should work. I would try using a sourcetype-based stanza header, instead of your source-based one. Again, what you have should work but since it isn't, let's try something else.

0 Karma

tmontney
Builder

Regex isn't my strong suit. I usually mess around with it in a regex "calculator" to ensure it matches correctly before deploying it.

0 Karma

oscar84x
Contributor

Could you provide a few sample events containing both; events you'd like to keep and events you'd like to discard?
The events have to meet both criteria? i.e. Event code AND result code?

Thanks

0 Karma

tmontney
Builder

https://www.ultimatewindowssecurity.com/securitylog/encyclopedia/event.aspx?eventid=4768

Yes, discard events with EventID 4768 AND result code 0x0, keep the rest.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You shouldn't be putting stuff in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local; you should be creating your own app based on either the sourcetype or the splunk-node type (e.g. Indexer). In any case, if you are doing a sourcetype override/overwrite, you must use the ORIGINAL values NOT the new value (you are not, so that's not your problem), then you must deploy this to the first full instance(s) of Splunk that handles the events (usually either the HF-tier, if you use that, or your Indexer tier), restart all Splunk instances there, send in new events (old events will stay broken), then test using _index_earliest=-5m to be absolutely certain that you are only examining the newly indexed events. I think that last bit is your problem.

0 Karma

tmontney
Builder

So you're saying the transforms should go in the deployed app? The UF discards the event before even sending it?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Nope, I am saying it has to go on the Indexers (probably), but DEFINITELY NOT on the UF.

0 Karma

tmontney
Builder

Ok, it's on the Indexer. Everything's been restarted. I understand only new events will be affected by the change.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Right, so is it working? If so, come back and click Accept to close the question.

0 Karma

tmontney
Builder

It is not working. I'll try putting the transforms in the search app.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

NO! Not in anybody else's stuff. Create your own app in `$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps//default/{transforms,props}.conf.

0 Karma

tmontney
Builder

Alright. I've never seen this recommended in the 2 years I've worked with Splunk Engineers, Splunk Answers, or Splunk Support. Unless it's specifically related to certain config changes?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...