\etc\system\local\transforms.conf

[drop4768OK]
REGEX = EventCode=4768(.|\t|\r|\n)*Result.*Code.*0x0
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

\etc\system\local\props.conf

[source::WinEventLog:Security]
TRANSFORMS-set = drop4768OK

After a reboot, events with Event Code 4768 and Result Code 0x0 are still being indexed. What am I doing wrong?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Re: Why isn't my transforms working?

Esteemed Legend

You shouldn't be putting stuff in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/system/local; you should be creating your own app based on either the sourcetype or the splunk-node type (e.g. Indexer). In any case, if you are doing a sourcetype override/overwrite, you must use the ORIGINAL values NOT the new value (you are not, so that's not your problem), then you must deploy this to the first full instance(s) of Splunk that handles the events (usually either the HF-tier, if you use that, or your Indexer tier), restart all Splunk instances there, send in new events (old events will stay broken), then test using indexearliest=-5m to be absolutely certain that you are only examining the newly indexed events. I think that last bit is your problem.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor

So you're saying the transforms should go in the deployed app? The UF discards the event before even sending it?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Esteemed Legend

Nope, I am saying it has to go on the Indexers (probably), but DEFINITELY NOT on the UF.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor

Ok, it's on the Indexer. Everything's been restarted. I understand only new events will be affected by the change.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Esteemed Legend

Right, so is it working? If so, come back and click Accept to close the question.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor

It is not working. I'll try putting the transforms in the search app.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Esteemed Legend

NO! Not in anybody else's stuff. Create your own app in `$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps//default/{transforms,props}.conf.

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor

Alright. I've never seen this recommended in the 2 years I've worked with Splunk Engineers, Splunk Answers, or Splunk Support. Unless it's specifically related to certain config changes?

0 Karma
Highlighted

Contributor

Could you provide a few sample events containing both; events you'd like to keep and events you'd like to discard?
The events have to meet both criteria? i.e. Event code AND result code?

Thanks

0 Karma